David Schuman at Schuman Insurance Agency knows that summer’s vacation is coming to an end and this means we will start sharing the road with the yellow buses again. Here are few things to keep in mind when putting the kids back into school.
We need to keep in mind that with those buses will be children waiting at bus stops, riding on bicycles or moms & dads dropping off children to and from school. With this added congestion it’s never more important for drivers to slow down and pay attention than when kids are present especially before and after school.
Sharing the Road with School Buses
If you’re driving behind a bus, allow a greater following distance than if you were driving behind a car. It will give you more time to stop once the red lights start flashing. It is illegal in all 50 states to pass a school bus that is stopped to load or unload children.
- Never pass a bus from behind – or from either direction if you’re on an undivided road – or if it is stopped to load or unload children
- If the yellow or red lights are flashing and the stop arm is extended, traffic must stop
- The area 10 feet around a school bus is the most dangerous for children; stop far enough back to allow them space to safely enter and exit the bus
- Be alert; children often are unpredictable, and they tend to ignore hazards and take risks
Children Waiting at Bus Stops
- Wait in a safe place – teach your children to always stay away from the road so other vehicles/parents dropping other children off don’t harm or injure you.
- Arrive a few minutes early – so there isn’t so much congestion, confusion and risk of missing the bus resulting in be late or tardy to school.
- Don’t talk to strangers – teach your children not to talk to strangers or people they don’t know. Also be aware of listed sexual offenders in your schools neighborhood.
Bike Safety and School
- Follow all bike safety rules and laws – these can be found at your child’s school or police department
- Use hand signals when turning or stopping
- Always wear the proper safety gear when riding your bike
Parents Dropping Off Children to School
- Always watch for moving cars before getting onto the bus or crossing streets
- Teach your children never get into anyones car that your children don’t know
- Always use the crosswalks and listen to the crosswalk guards on duty
Schuman Insurance Agency cares about you, your family, and your insurance needs. Come see him and his friendly and helpful staff to have an review of your insurances for you and your family.